Dutch School (19th century)
‘Gezicht op de Reede van Paramaribo’ - View of the Paramaribo Waterkant, circa 1935
Titled lower center
Watercolour on paper, H. 53 x W. 76 cm
It's possible to date this view on the Paramaribo harbour fairly accurate to circa 1835. The church that was destroyed in the fire of 1821 was rebuilt in 1833 and can be seen on the right between the masts of two ships. To the left is the bridge over the Knuffelsgracht, the ‘English Bridge’. Before the fire, there were buildings to the left of the canal.
Stichting Edwina van Heek, the Netherlands
Foundation named after Edwina van Heek-Burr Ewing (1872-1945), born in St. Louis USA, and married to the Dutch textile manufacturer Jan Bernard van Heek.
Clazien Medendorp, Kijkkasten uit Suriname: diorama’s van Gerrit Schouten, Amsterdam, 2008