A PAIR OF DESK GLOBES BY J. CARY
“Cary’s New Terrestrial Globe delineated from the best Authorities extant; exhibiting the late discoveries toward the North Pole and every improvement in Geography to the present time. Made and sold by G & J Cary, 86 St James Street, Mar. 1 1824”
“Cary’s New Celestial Globe on which are correctly laid down upwards of 3500 stars selected from the most accurate observations and calculated for the year 1800, with extend of each Constellation precisely defined by Mr. Gilpin of the Royal Society. Made and sold by J & W Cary, Strand, London, Jan 1 1816”
H. 47 x W. 44 cm
The Cary firm of London, established by John Cary (1754-1835), the engraver and cartographer, together with his brother William (1759-1825), the maker of scientific instruments, became one of England’s leading firms of globe makers in the late Georgian period from the early 1790s until its closing in 1850 when G.F.Cruchley (1822-1875) took over the firm from John’s sons George (1788-1859) and John Jnr. (1791-1852).